With global cases of coronavirus on the rise and Chinese citizens staying at home, it is expected that there will be a strain on the global supply chain, leading to delay for the construction industry. The outcome of the COVID-19 illness, caused by the new coronavirus, is a major facet, poised to affect the construction firms. Construction Dive report states that items like copper, aluminum and casework will be some of the key products affected with costs potentially moving higher.
As per Ayming, a consultancy specializing in supply chain and operation performance stated that the Chinese economy plays a crucial role in the global economy. As a result, there could be unpleasant surprises in store for import restrictions and control.
So, how to deal with the situation? To address the problem, coronavirus is monitored by construction equipment companies like Volvo Construction Equipment. Cross-functional working groups are also been formed to synchronize mitigating actions for first-tier suppliers and logistics.
According to the former Professor of pathology at the University of California, San Diego, the first molecular virologist to work on coronaviruses in the 1970s, the projection for expansion in the US is most likely to spread by mid to late March and April.
Largest construction shows are scheduled to be held in 2020 in various parts of USA like, for instance, the CONEXPO-CON/AGG, which is expected to attract a global audience of approximately 120,000 people in Las Vegas, US from 10th to 14th March. Event organizers are focussing on the health and safety of all participants, including attendees, exhibitors, vendors, and staff.
Sukh Singh, the Vice President of Tejjy Inc. along with the entire team members of Tejjy Inc. the Construction Management, BIM, Engineering, Permit Expedition & Architectural Services Company in the USA has requested US residents to stay calm. Even if the disease is dangerous, but there are chances of recovery. As per Worldometers Info, total Coronavirus Cured cases stand at around 55,603 across the globe from February 2 to March 5, 2020.
To curb the menace as a construction professional, and to take precaution for yourself and your loved ones, check out the guidelines for staying safe:
· No handshaking instead use a fist bump, elbow bump, and a bow
· Use your knuckle for touching light, switches, elevator buttons, etc.
· Lift gasoline dispenser with a paper towel or disposable glove
· Open doors with hip or closed fist, unless there is no other way to open the door
· Use disinfectant wipes available at the store, including wipes
· Wash hands with soaps for 10 – 20 seconds or use over 60% alcohol-based hand sanitizer after touching a suspected contaminated surface, as the virus can last for up to 48 hours on objects
· Wash the back of your hands, between fingers, under the nails
· Keep a bottle of sanitizer available at your home entrance & car and use it after getting gas or contaminated objects
· Cough or sneeze into a disposable tissue and discard it immediately in a waste bin
· Keep a distance of 2m to 0.5m from a person who is visibly coughing/sneezing/sick
· Give a mask to the affected person who is coughing or sneezing and protect everyone else nearby
· Dont wear the mask for more than a day
· Avoid crowds as you dont know who might be sick
· Avoid coming into contact with people who are sick or share their personal items, food, utensils, cups, and towels
· Avoid touching your eyes, ears, and nose
· Use Latex or nitrile latex disposable gloves while shopping, using a gasoline pump & coming in contact with contaminated areas
· Stock up with disposable surgical masks and use them to prevent touching your nose or mouth
· Stock up with zinc lozenges, which have proven to be effective in blocking coronavirus
· Lie down and let the lozenge dissolve in the back of throat & nasopharynx
· Use as much as possible of natural vitamin C to strengthen your immune system
· Use more of yellow wood
· Take slices of lemon in a cup of lukewarm water and drink it every day
· Finally seek medical advice if you are sick
Following these tips may help to prevent the potentially catastrophic pandemic and save human life.